The furies

Goddess2u

I was wondering what all do you all know about the furies? I have always found them interesting but haven't found exactly what I have been looking for on the furies yet.

i think the furies (Greek:erinyes) settle in the underworld and they exist to punish wrongdoers. they are a group of three (3) maidens : Tisiphone, Alecto, Megara/Megaera

here is a link about them, hope it helps:
http://www.furies.net/

^_^

Allie-Gator

Those are some terrifying women. Revenge is something I don't like to think of. I would rather someone have it on their conscience and eventually get his or hers in the end.

magickz

Would you really expect a man to be well known for revenge? Just saying the old one goes; Hell has no fury like a woman scorned. Where do you think they got that from? :) I love reading about the furies, its just too interesting to not read. Then again, I am a woman.

Moncler Jackets

Those are some terrifying women. Revenge is something I don't like to think of. I would rather someone have it on their conscience and eventually get his or hers in the end.​

LegendofJoe

During this past summer I saw a performance of Aeschylus' The Furies. (Also called the Eumenides).
The women playing the three Furies were dressed in black. They writhed and hissed throughout the performance.
They had black markings on their faces and they carried whips; pretty cool in a dominatrix kinda way.
They only stood upright at the end after Athena promises them a home in Athens where they will be worshipped.
They are seen as divinities that precede the Olympian gods; that was reflected well in the play.

Enertia

Did the Furies have the magical threads? I believe one of the threads was a humans lifeline? I can not remember, I guess I need to reread some of my mythology books!

Nadai

Did the Furies have the magical threads? I believe one of the threads was a humans lifeline? I can not remember, I guess I need to reread some of my mythology books!
The Moirae or Moirai (Μοῖραι) also known as the Fates, were the appointers of life. They were the three daughters of Zeus and Themis, the goddesss of divine order and law. They were the ones with the threads. They were powerful enough to be considered seperate from the gods; they usually only counceled with Zeus. They are so powerful that not even the gods can go against them. When they decide to end a life it is ended-in several myths a god will be sad over someones life and try to bring them back. Apollo wanted to bring back his son after he was killed by Zeus' thunderbolt. He also lost a lover during a discus competition between the two. Zeus lost several sons as well. It was possible to get around death for a god, though. They would find a loop hole-rather than letting the person die entirely they could make something out of their death. Apollo created a flower from the blood of his lover.
The Fates' thread represented a persons life. If they decided it was time for the person to die then they would cut the thread. There were ways to restore the thread once it had been cut. Hercules' thread was cut but then restored when he became a god. Psyche was tricked by Aphrodite and died because of it, Eros gave her Abrosia and she was made into a goddess.

Oak Leaves

As I recall, the Fates' names were Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. One spun the thread of life; one measured it out; one cut it. In Charles Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities," Therese DeFarge represented the Fates with her knitting, recording the stories of those aristocrats, biding her time and then cutting short their lives.

Nadai

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Erinyes.html
The Furies were the servants of Hades and Persephone and were said to have lived in Tartarus where souls were sent to be punished for crimes committed while they'd lived, a place of eternal torment. The Furies remained in a state of rest until they were called upon t The goddesses were also seen as the goddesses of retaliation, curses, madness, and as the exacters of justice.
In Roman myth they were the Furiae, Furies, or Dirae; in Greek myth they were the Eume'nides, Erinneys, or Erinyes.
Greek Name: Transliteration: Latin: Translation:
Αληκτω Alêktô Alecto Unceasing (alêktos)
Τισιφονη Tisiphonê Tisiphone Murder Retritution (tisis, phonos)
Μεγαιρα Megaira Megaera Grudge (megairô)