Hi. Requesting the help of you fine people :)

InfoSeeker

Hi. Requesting the help of you fine people :)

Hi all. As my name suggests I am on the hunt for info regarding myth's, legends etc.

I am writing a story for a computer game based on the TV show LOST, and, in line with the show, I am looking to flood it with references to mythology/biblical stories and ancient history etc.

The basic story arc is one of redemption and justice. What I am looking for is material in this realm. The myths etc can be an overview of this general topic or referenced in more specific terms with regards to some of the following planned incidents in the game. Feel free to offer suggestions for event based on mythology also.

-The Protagonist is an ex Vietnam vet who, whilst in Vietnam, was sent on a rescue mission.

-After the mission (was successful or a failure - hasnt been decided yet, tho it looks as tho we will choose failure) the main character shoots a young Vietnamese girl who falls from the cliff above and dies. The mother, as to be expected, is mortified.

-Fast forward a year or so and the main character has been hired as part of a security force to combat the natives/hostiles of the island, by the Dharma Initiative.

-At some point Dharma suffer heavy damage by the Natives/Hostiles and an important employee/s is kidnapped.

-The main character is then tasked with another rescue mission. He sets off across the island with a small group - most of which get killed or disappear along the way. As the character makes his way across the island he see's "visions" of the girl he killed.

-At some point he is captured by the hostiles and tied up to a pillar to be sacrificed by the person you were sent to rescue - the Vietnamese girls mother. She wants to kill you but, at the same time, she doesnt. In any case, she doesn't and you eventually manage to escape and rescue her.

-On the way back the smoke monster drags you into its lair and leaves you injured/dieing. The Vietnamese child slowly walks up to you, looking quite menacing, and tells you she forgives you. The credits roll and a scene is shown depicting the protagonist falling from a cliff - but he is a happy man. (aaawwww :D )

There's lost of detailing to do etc, as its still very early in development, but I plan on filling the overall story with elements from many references to legends, myths etc. For instance I am currently looking at Vietnamese mythology with regards to the "Lake of the Returned Sword".
I may name the mother, or child, after the turtle, from the above myth, (Kim Qui ) and even adopt some of the details of the myth into parts of the characters roles.
An example off the top of my head would be the main character running out of ammunition, or losing his gun, and being led to a lake reminiscent of said "lake of the Returned Sword" Hoan Kiem Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and being granted (finding) weapons in the ruin at the centre of the lake.

It doesn't have to be Vietnamese Mythology, id like lots of references to many different myths included. Im just 1 man however, who doesn't have much knowledge of mythology, so I would love it if you could help me with finding various mythology that would be compatible with, or enhance, my project.

Thanks for reading :)

PS. I'm sorry for the convoluted post, but my head is just swimming with activity, trying to knit this all together, at the moment, so apologies if it's a hard read :p