A mask of loki ?

Olsen

As far as I know, the only god in Norse mythology possessing a mask was Odin (he is said to have worn a horrifying mask to scare his enemies). I've never heard anything about Loki having a magical mask, so where do you think the Hollywood writers that created "The Son of The Mask" got their idea from?

Do you know anything about masks in Norse mythology?

Libros

I don't know where the notion of Odin ever wearing a mask came from. A simple Google search showed exactly the same two sentences repeatedly constantly at New Age and Wicca sites, especially jewelry shops selling "Odin's Mask" pendants.

"Mythology relates that Odin sometimes wore a mask when encountering potential opponents. This mask was so terrifying that enemies often retreated without any need for fighting on Odin's part, thus saving "AllFather's" energy, for more enjoyable and profitable pursuits."

None of these sites ever quote their sources, and a check of the hard resources in the Eddas and sagas showed no evidence of Odin wearing a mask for any reason. I believe this to be made up based on the popularity of The Mask movie. Loki's magic mask is purely fictional for the movie. Over time, the relations between Loki, Odin and the mask blended together as the movie became part of the public consciousness on Norse myth.

It may be because both Loki and Odin are shapeshifters that masks have come to be associated with them, but there's no evidence from the actual myths that they wore them. Odin typically is blind in one eye, because he threw an eye into Mimir's Well to drink from it to obtain wisdom. There is apparently a popular Norse myth work called The Masks of Odin but the title appears purely metaphorical.

Rhonda Tharp

Libros - when you said the Masks of Odin was metaphorical that reminded me of the statement from History of the Norsemen that said Odin had over 200 names, and having the ability to shapeshift is similar to a mask in that his identity is concealed...

Libros

Well, Masks of Odin was written in 1985 and is a study of Norse myth in general, not just Odin. But nonetheless the attachment of mask symbolism to Odin and Loki seems purely contemporary, and is exacerbated by The Mask movies.

I remember a few episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, already a Greek myth twisting series, where he went to Norseland. Loki plotted to bring about Ragnarok and blinded Odin by tricking him into wearing, what else, an evil forged iron mask.

LegendofJoe

Well, Masks of Odin was written in 1985 and is a study of Norse myth in general, not just Odin. But nonetheless the attachment of mask symbolism to Odin and Loki seems purely contemporary, and is exacerbated by The Mask movies.

I remember a few episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, already a Greek myth twisting series, where he went to Norseland. Loki plotted to bring about Ragnarok and blinded Odin by tricking him into wearing, what else, an evil forged iron mask.
I know that series was silly, but oh what fun!

magickz

Hollywood writers can come up with just about anything to spin a show or soon to be new blockbuster movie. And the word Loki is all over, from books/tv/movies to people on the internet thinking its a cool user handle. :)

Willowtree

It's a shame that most people's knowledge of mythology or really of many subjects is based on movies. The writers on a movie make up stories, sometimes based on real ideas but with every telling you know they put more and more spin on it so it's so distorted it can't be relied upon for accurate info.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's deaths. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film